Business English 4b is designed to prepare students to use English in the present and future work situations. Students will develop English skills with a focus on business contexts and environments, and they will learn lexis that is used regularly in the world of international business and impacts intercultural communication. The course will help practice and enrich communication skills, encourage students to use word partnerships, a wide variety of grammar functions in different modes, read texts critically, and widen their experience. The topics include Global business issues, Ethics, Production and operations, Environmental challenges, Competition, etc. Language functions focus on considering options, quantifying, discussing alternatives, and presenting.
Knowledge will be transferred through speaking practice, fortifying exercises role-plays as well as listening and reading comprehension, case studies, and short pieces of business-oriented writing.
Students will be able to:
• Develop skills to deal with people in everyday business situations
• Increase their knowledge of key business concepts worldwide
• Write and read business agendas, e-mails, memos, minutes, and reports
• Expand vocabulary related to general business situations
• Develop confidence to deal with people and basic issues in the business world
• Express business concepts by reformulating them in their own words while summarising
• Identify differences and similarities between doing business in Europe and in other countries
• Develop an understanding of how culture impacts everyday dealings in the business environment.
Last update: Hřebačková Monika PhDr. (15.01.2021)
Cotton, D., Falvey, D., Kent, S. Market Leader, Intermediate, 3rd. Ed. (Pearson)
Emmerson, Paul. Business Vocabulary Builder (MacMillan).
Emmerson, Paul. Business Grammar Builder, 2nd Ed. (MacMillan).
Simon, Sweeney. English for Business Communication. (Cambridge University Press).